Elderberry is a medicinal plant also known as Sambux nigra. It belongs to the family Caprifolicia and various natural remedies can be developed with the help of Elderberry. Both Elderberry flowers and leaves can be used and due to the many properties of Elderberry, it can be helpful to get rid of sprains, chilblains, wounds. In addition, Elderberry flowers are used in cases of colds, allergies, colds or flu, sinusitis. Elderberry berries are effective in improving various cases of arthritis.
Elderberry has the following properties: it is a diuretic, laxative, cleansing, antioxidant, expectorant, sudorific, anti-catarrhal, diaphoretic, vulvar, emollient, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, relaxing, and healing plant. In addition, the flowers of this wonderful plant contain cyanogenetic glucosides, flavonoids, essential oils, and tannins. And its berries contain some traces of vitamin C, organic acids, tannins, inverted sugar, and essential oils.
Alderberry is used for indoor and outdoor consumption. We can find this Elderberry medicinal plant in para pharmacies, herbs, pharmacies that are made only for natural products and can also be found in online pharmacies.
We can get alder with an effective effect for dry plants, capsules, extracts, tinctures, Ricola throat, tea bags, juices and juices, and in the form of ointments, etc.
Health Benefits of Elderberry
1. To heal cracks in the skin
This homemade elderberry ointment is very easy to prepare and very effective in case you need to heal some wounds such as cracks in the skin of the hands and breasts.
We only need 6 parts of liquid Vaseline and half of the fresh elderberry leaves.
- We mix both ingredients and heat them over low heat until the leaves are brittle.
- Then we remove from the heat, strain, and let the preparation cool.
- Once the ointment is cold, we store it in a sterilized glass container with hermetic closure so that it is well preserved.
- We keep the preparation in the fridge to use it when we need it.
- We apply a little of the ointment on the areas of the cracked skin and spread well.
- We apply the elderflower ointment 2 or 3 times a day until we notice improvement.
2. To relieve cold symptoms
The properties of elderberry flowers are beneficial to treat and relieve symptoms that accompany the cold, they are also appropriate to improve allergy symptoms, such as sneezing and itchy nose.
- To prepare this infusion we will need:
- A cup of mineral water.
- 2 teaspoons fresh or dried elderflower.
- We put the water in a saucepan to heat and once it begins to boil we add the elderflower.
- We turn off the heat, cover the infusion, and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- We strain the infusion and we will take it rather warm.
- To add even more beneficial properties to this infusion and help improve cold symptoms we can add a teaspoon of honey.
- From this infusion, we can take 3 cups a day.
3. Elderberry Syrup
Preparing an elderflower syrup is very easy and this drink is also a good remedy to prevent or improve colds as well as to raise the defenses and face seasonal alterations, both spring, and autumn.
It is an ideal drink for both the little ones in the house and for adults, it is a totally natural refreshing drink.
- 40 large elderflower heads.
- 4 liters of hot mineral water, previously boiled.
- 2,600 grams of sugar.
- 2 lemons and a half.
- 100 grams of citric acid.
- In a cauldron, we put the elderflower heads.
- We boil the 4 liters of water.
- On top of the elderflower, we put the boiling water and add the citric acid, the sugar, the grated skin of the lemons, and the sliced lemons.
- We stir a little care and cover the preparation, letting it rest for 2 days.
- After a time, we strain the preparation, filtering it with a fine strainer.
- Once we have strained the syrup, we store it in previously sterilized glass bottles with hermetic closure.
If we are not going to consume all the syrup that we have prepared, we can freeze part of the syrup and have it available at any time of the year that we want to taste it.
This medicinal plant is not recommended in the following cases:
- In pregnancy
- During the lactation time frame.
- In youngsters under 12 years old.
- Individuals with allergies to plants that have a place with the “Caprifoliaceae” family.
Before taking or using this therapeutic plant it is prudent to talk with the specialist, pharmacists, or therapists, just as follow their recommendation in regards to the method of utilization and utilization.